The GrillingDad answer: Brisket is best served either with bread to make a sandwich, or sliced and served with sides. We also recommend placing some BBQ sauce nearby so it can be added based on preferences. Some popular sides for brisket include mac n cheese, potato salad, and coleslaw.
Brisket is one of the best BBQ meals around! But it isn’t really a meal all by itself, so how should you serve brisket? We have the answer! Read on!
Jump to Section
How to Serve Brisket
Ready to serve some tasty brisket? There are a few things to keep in mind to ensure that your guests enjoy the meal to the fullest.
First, it’s important to remember that brisket is a tough cut of meat that requires a long cooking time to become tender.
Therefore, it’s important to slice the brisket against the grain to ensure that it’s nice and tender when you serve it. We recommend using a sharp carving knife and cutting the brisket into thin slices.
Next, consider serving some complementary sides that will help balance out the rich flavor of the meat. Some popular sides include roasted potatoes, root vegetables like carrots and radishes, cole slaw, potato salad, and mashed potatoes.
You can also serve some fresh greens like a simple salad or steamed green beans to add some freshness to the meal.
Another important aspect of serving brisket is to ensure that it’s kept warm throughout the meal (don’t forget to rest your brisket before serving!)
You can do this by wrapping the sliced brisket in foil and placing it in a warm oven or slow cooker. This will help keep the meat moist and tender.
Finally, consider serving some sauces or condiments alongside the brisket to add some extra flavor. Some popular options include barbecue sauce, horseradish, or a tangy mustard sauce.
Don’t forget to check out our 20 Best BBQ Sauces article to find the perfect one to pair with your brisket.
Options for Serving Brisket
There are many different ways to enjoy this juicy and tender meat. Whether you prefer it as a main dish or a side dish, there are plenty of options to choose from.
Sliced Brisket as a Main Dish
The most popular way to serve brisket is sliced, with a variety of side options for people to add to their plates.
This is one of the easiest serving methods, though it does require a fork and knife to eat and may not be the best for an outdoor event without proper seating.
Making a Brisket Sandwich
Another popular way to serve brisket is as a sandwich. To make a brisket sandwich, start with a soft bun or roll, and add your sliced brisket.
Top it off with your favorite barbecue sauce, mayonnaise, or other savory toppings like peppers or pickled jalapenos. You can also add slaw or salad for some crunch.
We recommend brisket sandwiches for BBQs and other events where it is tough to have cutlery and plates for everyone to eat off of.
Serving Brisket as a Side Dish
If you’re looking for a unique way to serve brisket, try it as a side dish. Shredded brisket can be added to soups, chili, or even pizza and nachos. Our personal favorite is Easy Brisket Tacos and using brisket as a topping for our Easy Smoked Mac n Cheese.
No matter how you choose to serve your brisket, it’s sure to be a hit. Whether you’re grilling, braising, or smoking your brisket, be sure to cook it to the proper internal temperature for the best results.
Sides to Serve with Brisket
Honestly, you can serve just about anything with brisket, but below are our favorite sides!
- Potato Salad: A classic barbecue side dish that pairs perfectly with brisket.
- Baked Beans: Sweet, savory, and smoky, baked beans are a natural pairing for brisket.
- Coleslaw: A refreshing, crunchy side that helps cut through the richness of the brisket.
- Cornbread: Whether you prefer it sweet or savory, cornbread is a classic Southern side that pairs perfectly with brisket.
- Corn on the Cob: You’re firing up the smoker anyway, so might as well also grill some corn on the cob in foil.
- Green Beans: Roasted or sautéed green beans are a simple, healthy side that pairs well with brisket.
- Grilled Vegetables: Grilled vegetables like zucchini, eggplant, and bell peppers are a great way to add some color and flavor to your brisket meal.
- Roasted Root Vegetables: Roasted carrots, parsnips, and sweet potatoes are a hearty, flavorful side that pairs well with brisket.
- Mac and Cheese: Creamy, cheesy, and indulgent, mac and cheese is a crowd-pleasing side that pairs well with brisket.
- Mashed Potatoes: Creamy mashed potatoes are a classic side that pairs well with brisket.
- Pickles: Whether you prefer dill or bread and butter, pickles are a tangy, crunchy side that pairs well with brisket.
Remember, when choosing sides to serve with brisket, it’s important to consider the flavors and textures of the meat. You want sides that complement the rich, smoky flavor of the brisket without overpowering it.
With these side dish ideas, you’re sure to have a delicious and well-rounded meal.