Are you looking for an easy-to-follow recipe for smoked baked potatoes?
You’re in the right place!
In this TheGrillingDad.com guide, you’ll learn:
- Ingredients you need
- How to prepare potatoes to be smoked
- Step by step guide to smoked baked potatoes
- And much more!
Who doesn’t love a good baked potato? Smoking it turns it into a whole new world of flavor.
You’ll never bake a potato in the oven again after trying this.
Jump to Section
Ingredients for Smoked Baked Potatoes
This recipe keeps it simple so you don’t get overwhelming spices over the potatoes, allowing you to enjoy the smoke flavor they will absorb.
- 6 large Russet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup chives (optional)
- Hickory or almond wood for smoke (optional)
Read More >> Top 5 Best Smokers for Beginners (2022 Review)
How to Smoke Baked Potatoes
The only thing you have to worry about when smoking baked potatoes is maintaining a consistent temperature.
It is one of the simplest things you can do on your smoker!
Any hard or fruit wood will work wonderfully for this since the potatoes will soak up the smoky flavor with ease.
The best thing about smoking baked potatoes? You can toss them onto the smoker alongside your main meat or other smoked sides.
Preheat the Smoker
Crank the smoker up to 225 degrees.
Any wood works for these so you can experiment to find your favorite but be sure to maintain a steady temperature.
Prepare the Potatoes
While the smoker is heating up, it’s time to prep the potatoes.
Slice the potatoes in half long-ways and add them to a large aluminum pan (skin side down) with all of the other ingredients.
Stir and make sure the potatoes are completely coated.
Put the aluminum pan into the smoker and let it smoke for 1 hour.
Give the potatoes a nice stir and then cover the aluminum pan with aluminum foil (the potatoes have absorbed as much smoke as they can at this point, so it’s all about getting them to the right doneness), continue on the smoker for another hour or until the desired doneness is reached.
Serve immediately or smash them to turn these smoked baked potatoes into smoked mashed potatoes.
Easy Smoked Baked Potatoes
- 6 large russet potatoes
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp coarse salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbs water
- 1/4 cup fresh chives (optional)
- Preheat the Smoker to 225 degrees.
- Slice the potatoes in half long-ways and add them to a large aluminum pan (skin side down).
- Add in all of the other ingredients. Stir to make sure the potatoes are completely coated.
- Put the aluminum pan into the smoker and let it smoke for 1 hour.
- Give the potatoes a nice stir and then cover the aluminum pan with aluminum foil.
- Continue cooking the potatoes on the smoker for another hour or until the desired doneness is reached.
- Serve immediately or smash them to turn these smoked baked potatoes into smoked mashed potatoes.
If you want to learn more about grilling, check out these other helpful resources!